Friday, April 13, 2012

Welfare Queens!

I wish I could say my posts are so rare because I'm off living an extraordinary, exciting life, but really I'm just hanging out with my dog or climbing up big walls of rocks (not a metaphor for difficulties, just my obsession). I'm going to try to do better for the rest of the semester!

Last month, I read this article (I learned how to do links, guys!) and was pretty blown away. First of all, Good magazine is covering so many awesome things, so y'all should check it out if you get a chance. Their print magazine is pricey, but their site is really beautiful (and free!).

To my point: the people in this article are amazing. Profiled here are Dee and Tiny, a mother-daughter team that works tirelessly to help not only themselves, but the poverty-stricken around them through art, writing, and performance. They have created POOR magazine, they have founded MamaHouse (a rented building housing the homeless), and they have plans for a permanent Homefulness: a cohousing project by and for her the homeless.

Tiny is inspiring, and her work with POOR is incredible. These people are advocates and activists, are writers and performers, are teachers and learners. The whole article is really worth your time. I could outline it til the end of the day, but Jess Hoffman's article will still be better. Go!

3 comments:

  1. Amazing, how come these women aren't in the news? Welfare has been so stigmatized; political pundits like to talk about abuse of the system, ignoring the fact that it does help the majority of people receiving it. There's probably less abuse than the media likes to present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That sound like an incredible magazine. I will definately check it out. What good people those are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is amazing stuff. Those women are doing great things, I will definitely check that out.

    ReplyDelete