Sunday, April 1, 2012

Paul Ryan's budget plan

It passed! I would be worried, but the Senate will put the kibosh on this. Oh, lord.

So the plan will cut $5.3 trillion below President Obama's budget. Sounds good right? I mean I am a big fan of cutting the spending, after all. We are spending money we don't have and all that. However, this doesn't sound good if you're not in tip top shape. It doesn't sound good if you're poor. It doesn't sound good if you're old. It doesn't sound good if you like to drive over roads and bridges.

Here are the numbers. Medicaid and other health programs will be slashed by $770 billion, Medicare by $205 billion. Programs including welfare, transportation, and agriculture subsidies will be cut by about $2 trillion.

Cutting spending is great, right?! It comes at absolutely no cost - at least not for the wealthy. Ryan's budget also reorganizes the tax structure, granting the top 25% a tax cut.

I personally believe in a social construct. I want people to make as much money as they can, and I want those who make a lot to help those who haven't or who can't make as much. I don't think this is asking a lot, and I honestly don't believe I'm in the minority. I understand that the wealthy pay a huge portion in taxes. SO DO I. The difference is that what I have left over isn't as much as they have left over.

At the end of the day, this budget will not pass through the Senate. I can rest easily. But the principle of it, the very idea that people care so little for the people serving them food, cleaning the buildings they work in, caring for and teaching their children, or constructing the very world around them is TERRIFYING.

This-pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps ideal that the GOP still subscribe to will never work for those it was never intended for (ie anyone who is not white and male and Christian). This plan will not work for this nation's poor, its uninsured (or insured, in fact), its aged, its farms, or its infrastructure. It will work quite nicely for the nation's wealthy, so we can rest easy that they'll still be just fine.

2 comments:

  1. I believe it's "pull-yerself-up-by-yer-bootstraps". It's all about inflection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I hope the Senate does not pass it. Thats all we can hope for. I am not surprised by the fact that Republicans want to help the rich and kill the poor. That is what they stand for. Evil people!

    ReplyDelete